Saturday, April 04, 2009

Weekend Musical Diversion: Jeff Beck

I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. To me, music is too personal for this. Each of us has our own music hall of fame, our favorite musicians and their CDs and albums.

That being said, one of my favorite guitar players is being inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame tonight: Jeff Beck. He's already in the Hall of Fame as a member of the Yardbirds, but he is being inducted as a solo musician this evening. If you have never heard any of his solo stuff, do yourself a favor and buy/download/borrow some of his work. Start with Wired and Blow by Blow, mix in a little Truth and don't forget some of his newer work such as Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop and Jeff. If you really want to treat yourself, pick up one his live CDs such as his official bootleg, Live at B.B. King's Blues Club.

I've had the privelege of seeing Jeff Beck live and he is simply spectacular and jaw-dropping. Once, I went by myself on the day of show and picked up a tenth row center ticket at the Chicago Theater. Amazing.

I used to live across the street from a mom and pop video store. I spent considerable time looking for movies and talking with one of the employees, Eddie, about music. Our conversations revolved around great classic rock guitar players such as Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Rory Gallager and Jeff Beck. Mostly it was about Jeff Beck. Everytime I came back during his daytime shift, he shared a tidbit and recommendation about Jeff Beck. Our conversations in many ways was was like a broken record: Jeff Beck, Jeff Beck, Jeff Beck. Yeah, we talked movies, but when Eddie talked about Jeff Beck, his face lit up and he was excited.

In my book, Jeff Beck (the solo artist) should have been in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame years ago. I feel compelled to re-visit the video store to see if Eddie is still there and give him a high five. In the meantime, enjoy Jeff Beck's version of the Beatles' "A Day in the Life."

No comments: