Saturday, May 02, 2009

Weekend Spiritual Diversion: Wear Sunscreen

About twelve years ago, one of my favorite Chicago Tribune columnists, Mary Schmich, wrote a column geared toward college graduates. The piece was modeled after your typical commencement address where she provided practical advice on how to live successfully. Shortly after that, Australian director Baz Luhrmann created a short video of the column and "Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen)" was born. More information on this can be found here.

As I mentioned in a post last year, I am a sucker for a good commencement address. While these speeches were written for a particular graduation class, the advice is appropriate for anyone looking to change or improve his or her life. With this in mind, I plan to focus on a few notable commencement addresses next week. I hope you visit next week, and as always, I welcome your feedback. In the meantime, wear sunscreen...



2 comments:

Mindful Mimi said...

Yes I loved that speech. It is indeed relevant to anyone in any generation.
Thanks for putting that up here.

Tim said...

Hi MiMi:

Thanks for stopping by. About 10 years ago, this "song" received some airplay on local radio stations and I was blown away. I especially love the tip "do one thing that scares you every day."