Thursday, June 18, 2009

DIY Learning, Part 2

Thanks to new blog buddy Michael Plishka at ZenStorming, I was made aware of another DIY learning opportunity...The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) has posted free lecture notes, exams and videos on its MIT OpenCourseware site. Some of these courses include architecture, engineering, science and technology, management and the humanities.

I have only begun to poke through all of the courses, however one has attracted my attention: Dynamic Leadership: Using Improvisation in Business check it out here. Having taken a year's worth of improvisation classes a decade ago, I am aware of the magic of improvisational theater. In many ways, improv is not about theater or trying to make people laugh. It is a philosophy, a way to approach life. I plan to explore this topic in future posts, so stay tuned.

In any case, the key word involved in do-it-yourself learning is do. Sometimes, I am better at accumulating books than I am at reading and applying the ideas in them. I am working at this. But like anything important, learning is an ongoing process.

As much as I like the song, school is never really out...




Photo courtesy Photos8.com

No comments: