Sunday, February 24, 2008

Giving Eckhart Another Chance...


A couple years ago, I picked up a book that was getting a lot of buzz, The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. I had already read a book on mindfulness by Jon Kabat-Zinn called Wherever You Go There You Are, which was an eye-opening and influential book for me. I absolutely feel that now is really the only moment you have.

For some reason, I did not care for the book. Maybe it was the Question and Answer format that bothered me. I'm sure I could agree with some of the author's writing, but I could not get through the book. When I moved last year and got rid of some books to lighten my load, I sold my copy of The Power of Now to a used bookstore. In a practical sense, I found that Kabat-Zinn's book helped me really understand and appreciate what mindfulness (and the present moment) really is.

So today I am giving Eckhart Tolle another chance...thanks to Oprah's recommendation, I purchased my copy of A New Earth: Awakening Your Life's Purpose. I'm not really sure what to expect, but I will give it a chance and report back my opinion. If there is anyone out there who has read Eckhart Tolle, I'd love to know your opinion if you have read any of his books.

No comments: